Re: Payola Scandals

At 01:00 AM 4/21/97 -0400, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

>I don't think "American Graffiti" was about Alan Freed, unless I'm
>confusing it with another movie.  I thought "American Graffiti" was the
>one that was sort of a forerunner of "Happy Days," with everyone cruising
>around in their cars and someone goes to the radio station and meets
>Wolfman Jack.

I think you're right.  The movie about Alan Freed's adventures is "American
Hot Wax."  (By the way, I believe there's a young Jay Leno playing a small
part in the movie.)

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Donna Halper wrote:
>
>> A shameful time in history-- top-40 was new, some dj's were greedy, ASCAP
>> and the government believed rock was dangerous, and Dick Clark escaped
>> prosecution by ratting out Alan Freed (obm).

This is interesting about Dick Clark.  (Pardon my ignorance, but what does
"obm" mean?)

Having been born in '57, I don't remember a lot about the 50's.  But it
seems that I hear of more scandal and paranoia than the term 'Happy Days'
would lead one to believe.  It's no wonder that small school children were
being taught to hide under their desks on a regular basis.

- -Lou

And don't forget to visit
the incredible website:

         http://www.channel1.com/users/spindoc