Re: Payola Scandals

At 05:00 AM 4/21/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I don't think "American Graffiti" was about Alan Freed, unless I'm
>confusing it with another movie.  I thought "American Graffiti" was the
>one that was sort of a forerunner of "Happy Days," with everyone cruising
>around in their cars and someone goes to the radio station and meets
>Wolfman Jack.

Yes, in American Graffiti, Wolfman Jack (who actually appeared in the film)
was transported from Mexican border blaster XERB (1090) in Rosarita Beach
south of Tijuana to an unnamed station in an unnamed community in
California's Central Valley. Rumor has it that the shots of the tower and
the building were actually shot at KRE in Berkeley (1400), now KVTO. That
site is also the TX site of KFRC San Francisco (610). I've driven by the
KVTO/KFRC facility and the story is plausible. The building shown in the
movie is a little art-deco gem from the heyday of radio in the 30s.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205