WMBR Nightly News reinstated

As posted here previously, the management and programming board at WMBR had
made a preliminary decision a couple of weeks ago to cancel the WMBR
Nightly News as of the start of the summer program schedule last Thursday.

After a listener support campaign consisting of hundreds or e-mails, letters
and phone calls and an eleventh-hour negotiation session last week between
the WMBR News Department and the Program Director, the WMBR Nightly News has
been reinstated (for now).

Here's an excerpt of the release from the WMBR News Department:
--------------------------
>The WMBR News Department is very happy to announce that our Nightly News,
>featuring Free Speech Radio Network News and the WMBR Local Edition, has
>been reinstated in the WMBR program line-up.
>
>As was announced last week, WMBR’s Programming Board had decided to cancel
>our news broadcasts as of this week. However, the News Department filed an
>appeal, which was accepted by the board.
>
>We are extremely grateful to our listeners and friends, and particularly
>John Grebe of WZBC, for all your letters and phone calls to our program
>director, in support of our news and public affairs programming. The
>great response we received definitely had a strong influence on the final
>decision.
>
>Please tune in to Free Speech Radio News, the nation’s only daily,
>progressive half-hour news program, weeknights at 6 on WMBR 88.1 fm (or on
>the Internet at http://wmbr.mit.edu) – except Thursdays, when we present
>the Local Edition, produced by the WMBR News Department.
>
>Linda Pinkow
>Co-News Director
>WMBR 88.1 FM
>Community radio at MIT
<news@wmbr.mit.edu>
<http://wmbr.mit.edu>

(Note: the "Free Speech Radio Network" was started a couple of years ago by
reporters who had been fired from or were striking against the Pacifica
Network when they tried to take over and limit their owned affiliates local
programming and fired many reporters and other employees. Since the strike
has been reconciled, local programming reinstated and most employees back to
work, the Free Speech Radio News is now produced at Pacifica stations).

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .