Still amazed at WSRO's Digital quality!

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Mon May 9 10:22:22 EDT 2022

Canada used L-band, unless I misremember. The VHF band used in Australia
has propagation characteristics more like the FM band, and should work
better for DAB+ than L-band.

Only two European countries have shut down FM (Finland and Norway, unless
I misremember; my WRTH isn't handy at the moment); many other countries
use FM exclusively.

There are only about a dozen stations left on longwave (150 - 400 KHz). I
used to be able to hear Algeria on 251 KHz in the winter, but haven't
heard it this year. WRTH says it's still on the air.

AM ("medium wave") still has some life in it, and some countries, e.g.
India, are experimenting with digital radio in that band. However, they
are using DRM ("Digital Radio Mondiale"), not HD Radio, which has been
something of a flop inthe rest of the world.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the HD Radio patents run
out; that ought to open the floodgates for a lot of new devices. It
boggles the mind that the Xperi (formerly Ibiquity) people didn't get HD
Radio into cell phones.

Rob