Still amazed at WSRO's Digital quality!

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat May 7 18:30:29 EDT 2022

<<On Sat, 7 May 2022 15:07:59 -0400 (EDT), Rob Landry <011010001@interpring.com> said:

> According to the 2022 World Radio TV Handbook, digital radio in Australia
> uses the DAB+ system. Sydney has two multiplexes: 202.928 MHz and 204.64
> MHz. Both are 50 KW and carry simulcasts of all local commercial stations,
> including 2GB, which still broadcasts in AM on 873 KHz with 6 kW.

> There's a third DAB+ multiplex in Sydney on 206.352 MHz, also 50 kW, that
> carries ABC and SPS stations.

> I don't see anything in the WRTH about Australia using any digital system
> on the medium wave band; everything I see there is listed as AM.

Of course, US broadcasters would have been strongly opposed to the
adoption of any digital system that did not preserve the inequality of
signals and service areas, so the FCC never pursued such a thing, even
when there would have been plenty of VHF spectrum available to make it
practical.  Canada used the Eureka 147 DAB system for a while, in a
less suitable frequency band, and had very limited uptake on the part
of both consumers and broadcasters.  Meanwhile, a number of European
countries have entirely shut down mediumwave broadcasting and have or
are in the process of doing likewise for analog VHF FM.

-GAWollman