WBCN, Channel-13, and the old Hancock tower

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Nov 29 16:31:37 EST 2021

Now that the FCC history cards are scanned and available to all, we
needn't guess anymore. (I wish I'd had access to those resources when I
wrote those bostonradio.org histories 25+ years ago!)

WHDH-FM was originally applied for on 105.7 from Bear Hill in Waltham in
1947. The 88-108 FM band assignments were realigned in 1948, moving
WHDH-FM's permit to 94.5 from the old Hancock. It signed on there in 1949.

In 1959, WHDH-FM applied to move to the new WHDH-TV tower in Newton. The
license to cover that move was granted 10/8/63.

The only major Boston FM station that has stayed in the same location
longer is, of course, WGBH, now past 70 years on Blue Hill.