WBUR antennas over the years

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 01:02:18 EST 2021

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Ron <obrienron2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Eli,
>

> I seem to recall (back in the 70’s?), that WBUR had a free standing tower
> on campus that you could see from the street.
>

> Is my recollection correct?  What years was that in use?

I believe you're thinking of the tower that was at the BU School of
Communications, 630 Commonwealth Ave. From what I can find, it was in use
beginning sometime around the late 1950's or early 1960's, when the station
moved from their first original studio and antenna building on Exeter St.
in the Back Bay.

I don't know for how long that one at 630 Comm. was in use, I think through
the 1960's and at least some of the '70s, maybe later. Their next move was
to the one on the BU Law building (the current second backup), but I don't
know when that happened.

EP