RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Nov 29 01:41:33 EST 2021

The name sounds familiar, but I'm trying to figure out the history of
when WBUR would have been classical.  I think it may have been that it
was classical as long as Silber was president of BU, but switched to
public affairs afterwards.

When I first started listening to FM, in December 1958, WBUR and WERS
sounded very much alike.  They were largely run by students studying
broadcasting.  Both stations signed on around 2:00 PM during the school
year and 5:00 PM in the summer, and classical music was most of what
they played.

I guess at some point BU took over WBUR from the School of Public
Communications, while students continued to run WERS, although
eventually with more of a variety of music forms.  For awhile in the
early 1970s, they had a Rock & Roll oldies program on Saturday nights,
hosted by someone who called himself Al Payola.  At one ;point they had
a phone-in trivia contest, and I called in and won some ice cream.  When
I went to collect it at the Friendly's in Coolidge Corner, the man there
told me Al Payola's real name, but I don't remember it.  Nor do I
remember what the trivia questions were that I answered.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. · 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 · Newton, MA 02459
617.367.0468 · http://www.attorneyross.com