RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 06:11:14 EST 2021

>>the woman who ran the station, whose name I've
momentarily forgotten, wanted to do a news-talk format.

The name Jane Christo comes to mind but who knows,
>From MA Broadcasters Hall of Fame
Visionary General Manager of WBUR from 1979–2004. One of the country’s
first female managers of a top 10 radio station in a major market; Jane
transformed a special-interest radio station with a polyglot format in the
1970s into a competitive mainstream radio station by the mid-1980s, and
into one of Boston’s top 10 radio stations by the mid-1990s. She
demonstrated to her colleagues around the country that the future of public
radio was in news and information. She pioneered new techniques in public
radio fund-raising, and saw the potential of the Internet far earlier than
most. She took local productions “Car Talk,” “Only A Game,” “Here and Now,”
“The Connection,” and “On Point” to a national audience.

https://www.massbroadcastershof.org/hall-of-fame/hall-of-fame-2012/jane-christo/