Former WCAP Owner Maurice Cohen Has Passed Away

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 20:11:10 EDT 2021

Saddened to report that former WCAP (980 Lowell) owner Maurice Cohen passed
away on June 3rd after a brief illness at the age of 100. I, as many others,
unaware of his passing until seeing his obituary in today's Lowell Sun.

Maurice, along with his late brothers Israel (Ike) and Theodore (Ted) signed
WCAP on the air June 10th 1951. Ted passed away first, with Ike passing in
1994, leaving Maurice as the sole owner of the station until he sold to
Merrimack Valley Radio LLC in 2007. He turned down several offers to sell as
he knew those looking to buy would likely not commit to keeping the station
community focused, as Merrimack Valley Radio pledged to do and continue to
do today.

WCAP afternoon host/Operations Manager Ryan Johnston had a 25 minute tribute
to Maurice to start this afternoon's show. He made mention of his turning
down those several offers, the decades long support every Christmas season
airing the Salvation Army Radiothon, helping those in need in the Merrimack
Valley to have a happy holiday season. In closing, he said the WCAP is and
always will be the legacy of Maurice Cohen.

On a personal note, I first met Maurice and his brother Ike in 1974, when I
won a football from a local sporting goods store in an on air contest. My
dad drove me to the studios at 243 Central Street to claim my prize, it was
an afternoon in November around 3:45 or so. I remember climbing those steep
stairs and hearing the Monkees hit "I'm a Believer" playing through the
ceiling speaker. Then sports director Joe Shimko gave me my football and a
quick peek into the air studio, on the way out I was introduced to Ike &
Maurice who were in the lobby. Little did I know that years later I would be
helping Maurice and appearing on the air in the waning years of his
ownership. He was a quiet man, not wanting to be in the spotlight, but was
good to me and so many who worked for him and to many in the community. He
will be missed. Rest in Peace Maurice.

Link to the obituary in the Lowell Sun:

<https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/lowellsun/name/maurice-cohen-obituary?
n=maurice-cohen&pid=199515711&fhid=20814> Maurice Cohen Obituary (2021) -
Andover, MA - Lowell Sun (legacy.com)

Mark Watson