WGBH/WGBX/WBTS [and WFXZ]

George Allen geo.allen@comcast.net
Tue Jan 21 14:50:13 EST 2020

Scott - interesting perspective, which I did not have.  Thanks!

At 01:49 PM 1/21/2020, Scott Fybush wrote:
WGBH is playing a long game.

When ATSC 3 becomes a reality, a few things will happen:

1. The low-VHF signal on 5 will become the ATSC 3
test bed. Anyone using ATSC1 will be watching
WGBX for as long as ATSC1 lasts, because it will
be the "lighthouse" ATSC1 signal for WGBH, WGBX and WBTS.

2. The ATSC3 signal on RF 5 will come in better
than it does now in ATSC1. ATSC3 is just more
robust, and can carry more data. No, your current
TV can't pick it up, but cheap tuners will be out
there in abundance in a year or two.

3. In a few more years, when the move to ATSC3 is
complete, WGBH will have lots of options. There
will be enough data on the WGBX RF32 signal to
carry everything - 2.1, 44.1, WBTS, WFXZ - and
then some. They could move everything there and
use the RF5 signal for new programming and
services.  Or they could find that low-V works
decently for ATSC3 and leave some services there.

They're thinking way ahead.