WGBH/WGBX/WBTS [and WFXZ]

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 21 13:49:59 EST 2020

WGBH is playing a long game.

When ATSC 3 becomes a reality, a few things will happen:

1. The low-VHF signal on 5 will become the ATSC 3 test bed. Anyone using
ATSC1 will be watching WGBX for as long as ATSC1 lasts, because it will be
the "lighthouse" ATSC1 signal for WGBH, WGBX and WBTS.

2. The ATSC3 signal on RF 5 will come in better than it does now in ATSC1.
ATSC3 is just more robust, and can carry more data. No, your current TV
can't pick it up, but cheap tuners will be out there in abundance in a year
or two.

3. In a few more years, when the move to ATSC3 is complete, WGBH will have
lots of options. There will be enough data on the WGBX RF32 signal to carry
everything - 2.1, 44.1, WBTS, WFXZ - and then some. They could move
everything there and use the RF5 signal for new programming and services.
Or they could find that low-V works decently for ATSC3 and leave some
services there.

They're thinking way ahead.