Late Night - Early AM on WBZ-AM is now Mr. Computer

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Jan 16 14:21:05 EST 2020

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Ron wrote:

> Wasn't Gannett, Westinghouse, Hearst, CBS, NBC, ABC, Metromedia and the rest
> "publicly held companies driven, as usual, by short-term financial goals"?

They were publicly held companies, sure enough, but up until about 1980
the focus in such companies used to be the long term. Remember when AT&T
had Bell Labs, and other companies like IBM had similar divisions,
experimenting with new technologies and the like?

> I'm sure stock price, dividends and such drove all those companies as well,
> yet somehow they were able to service their communities, right?

The narrow focus on "maximizing shareholder value" was originally
proposed, if I remember right, at Harvard Business School in the mid
seventies. It didn't catch on generally until about a decade later, and
the deregulation of the radio industry during the 80s and 90s allowed it
free reign in our industry.

> Smaller, privately owned stations aren't doing much better.

We are all blown by the same economic winds.

> I think this has to do with the realities of the financial world, where once
> valuable properties (assets) are now worth a pittance of what they were
> purchased for.  Blaming "publicly held companies" driven by their fiduciary
> responsibilities is an easy excuse.

Publicly held companies have obligations that privately held companies
don't have; everything they do has to be reationalized in terms of
shareholder value. A publicly held company can't, for instance, build a
big rocket and send its CEO's car to Mars, as Elon Musk's privately-held
SpaceX can. Nor can it employ people for their own sake, the sake of the
communites they live in, or anyone else's sake but shareholders.

> I think when the FCC allowed and Congress removed the ownership caps
> (through the "Omnibus Telecommunications Act") set the stage.  (Always watch
> out for anything with the adjective "Omnibus" attached.)

That is true, but the pressure on Congress and the FCC to change those
laws and regulations was applied by Wall Street.

Rob