Late Night - Early AM on WBZ-AM is now Mr. Computer

Ron obrienron2@gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:07:04 EST 2020

>>Eyeheart -- I refuse to use their ridiculous spelling -- is a publicly
held company driven, as usual, by short-term financial goals that have
nothing to do with serving Boston or any of the other communities they are
licensed to serve.<<<

Wasn't Gannett, Westinghouse, Hearst, CBS, NBC, ABC, Metromedia and the rest
"publicly held companies driven, as usual, by short-term financial goals"?
I'm sure stock price, dividends and such drove all those companies as well,
yet somehow they were able to service their communities, right?

Smaller, privately owned stations aren't doing much better.

I think this has to do with the realities of the financial world, where once
valuable properties (assets) are now worth a pittance of what they were
purchased for.  Blaming "publicly held companies" driven by their fiduciary
responsibilities is an easy excuse.

I think when the FCC allowed and Congress removed the ownership caps
(through the "Omnibus Telecommunications Act") set the stage.  (Always watch
out for anything with the adjective "Omnibus" attached.)