Boston-Radio-Interest Digest, Vol 22, Issue 100

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:58:30 EDT 2018

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:06:41 -0400
> From: Mario Gonzalez <mariogonz@aol.com>
> To: Boston Radio Group <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
> Subject: Beep at top of the hour on WBZ disappeared
>

> I commute to work and we listen to WBZ on a car radio in the mornings
> and afternoons.? We used to hear the beep at the top of the hour but it
> seems to have disappeared.? Even when we last heard it, it seemed to be
> late, maybe 30 seconds after our cell phones changed their time to the
> top of the hour.? I don't know which device was correct though.

I haven't listened very recently to hear whether they still have the beep,
but the delay in the beep from the top of the hour may have been due to the
delay inherent in HD processing, because WBZ broadcasts in HD during
daylight hours, and even if you're not listening in HD, they (and all
stations that broadcast in HD) must purposely delay their analog audio so
that it's synchronized in time with the delay inherent in the processing of
their HD signal, though that delay is normally only about 8 seconds, not 30.

EP