Beep at top of the hour on WBZ disappeared (A Joseph Ross)

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:13:55 EDT 2018

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 23:38:38 -0400
> From: A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com>
> To: Mario Gonzalez <mariogonz@aol.com>, Boston Radio
>         <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
> Subject: Re: Beep at top of the hour on WBZ disappeared
>
> I think this may have been the last station to have that beep on the
> hour.? I think BBC World Service still has it, but that can be a second
> or two delayed.?
>
> If you're listening to the BBC on WBUR or any other affiliate that also
broadcasts in HD, the delay you're hearing is most likely the approximately
eight-second delay inherent in the processing of the HD signal, and you'l
hear that delay even if you're not listening in HD, because stations that
broadcast in HD must purposely delay their analog signal so that it's
synchronized in time with the delay inherent in their HD signal. The BBC
beep comes up right at the top of the hour in the WBUR studios, but goes
over the air eight seconds later due to the HD processing (and synchronized
analog) delay.

EP