WKLB Frequency Change?

Sean Smyth ssmyth@alumni.psu.edu
Sun Jul 8 15:03:31 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 12:57 PM Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> wrote:

> On 7/8/2018 8:37 AM, Scott Fybush wrote:
> > That FB post (from John Kosian) was showing off a shirt from 20+ years
> ago!
> >
> > WBCS was one of two competing country stations in the 90s, replacing
> smooth
> > jazz WCDJ. It was up against Fairbanks' WCLB 105.7 (ex-WVBF). WCLB became
> > WKLB fairly quickly,
>
> I was there, consulting WCLB when some of this occurred-- if my memory
> serves me well, the call letter change reflected the old Arbitron diary
> process of listeners being asked to remember and then write down the
> call letters; research showed lots of folks were getting the call
> letters wrong and writing down stations other than WCLB, even if that's
> what they were listening to.  So the management decided a K would be
> easier to distinguish than a C.

IIRC, WCRB (oh, the irony) and Channel 5 both weren’t thrilled.

Pretty sure the CLB stood for “Boston’s country club.” If anyone had said
then the station would survive on three frequencies over 25 years, you
would’ve laughed. Country had been out of the market for a few years since
WBOS dropped it.

> --
Sent from my iPhone