Entercom announces what it plans to keep

Sean Smyth ssmyth@alumni.psu.edu
Sun Oct 15 15:33:18 EDT 2017

How stringent is the FCC in interpreting this stuff? If Henry didn't buy
WBZ(AM) but Fenway Sports Group -- which does not own the paper -- did, how
would that go? I know Murdoch had issues here and in NYC, but in the case
of FSG Henry isn't the only major principal.

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/2017 2:06 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>
> > Scott - I am going to throw this out for you. Could John Henry, Fenway
> > Sports Group and the Globe be a sleeper in this?
>
> Lance and I touched on this briefly in the Top of the Tower podcast we
> did last week on the topic.
>
> The problem, still, is the antiquated newspaper-broadcast
> cross-ownership ban. Everyone agrees it's bad policy, and yet nobody has
> made it go away. Until it does, the Globe can't own (or have dominant
> cross-ownership with) any radio or TV stations. Nor can the Herald,
> which means a Herald-WRKO combination that might also make sense is also
> impossible for now.
>
> (And it's interesting to note that had the Sox bought WBOS, as almost
> happened a decade ago, John Henry would then have had a hard time
> acquiring the Globe and saving it.)

Sent from my iPhone