WKLB Axes "Sunday Morning Country Oldies"

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:30:37 EDT 2014

WKLB reacts again: the new slogan prominently on its site and on the air is
Boston's (or Today's, on the site) New Hit Country.

They can legitimately say that because of the ratings they get, and will
get. Given their longtime status and signal strength it would be shocking
if WEDX (to be WBWL?) were to trump
them in the ratings. As has been said the idea is for CC to shave off some
ratings points from them to help Kiss 108, etc. The ditching of the oldies
show and the new slogan shows that the competition is now there.

Depending on where you live, etc. technically they weren’t the only country
station around, because you might be able to get 98.1 from New Bedford,
103.9 from the Cape, 97.5 from Dover NH etc. (Some Evolution fans went on
facebook to complain, “why do we need another country station? We already
have 4″ or something) They didn’t have a strict monopoly but for the Boston
area in some ways they did. Now they have a direct competitor, though who
knows if in a year or so they might suddenly become Patriot 101.7 for talk
(doubtful, but what if Howie wanted to work for CC? …for peanuts!!) or La
Mega 101.7–though some have also said country could indeed be longterm for
them. That seems to make sense.

As far as the 101.7 signal goes it can cover a half decent amount of people
and is Boston proper instead of Waltham. Yet while you might get it fine on
I-93 to the N.H. state line etc., it was shaky on Rt 3 in Chelmsford and
Lowell; shaky on Rt 128 in Peabody (Centennial Dr. and Lowell St. exits)
and when I was on Rt 114 in Danvers/Peabody area with all the stores and
car dealers, it was even more shaky. I don't know if somehow the presence
of 93.7's tower in Peabody, 8 MHz down, is a factor due to some kind of
signal math.