WKLB Axes "Sunday Morning Country Oldies"

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Wed Jun 18 08:20:10 EDT 2014

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014, Bob DeMattia wrote:

> WVBF was certainly transmitting from Framingham in 1985 when
> hurricaneGloria took out one of their newly constructed towers.

No, they were on the Stainless (candelabra) tower in Needham. I remember
one day in 1982, when I was working for WBOS, arriving at the site to find
Art Bump of Beacon Tower Service there doing some work for WVBF. They were
paying him to adjust the antenna position for best reception at the
general manager's home!

At some point, Fairbanks decided that even though they owned a perfectly
good studio facility in Framingham, WVBF could never truly be a Boston
station unless it had studios in the city, so they moved their studios to
the Prudential Center (keeping the Framingham building for WKOX). God
knows how much money they must have spent on that project; and how do you
justify paying rent at the Pru when you own your own building? It boggles
the mind. No one cares where your studios are; what matters is where the
signal goes and who listens.

Rob