Is WSRO-AM 650 Testing Its Modest Power Increase?

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Sun Jun 15 13:20:49 EDT 2014

At 06:49 AM 6/15/2014, Bob Nelson wrote:

>It's much like the "Talking House" stations that run under Part 15.

There is a sizable community of Part 15 broadcasters, and some run Talking House transmitters, which pop up on eBay.

>microbroadcasting on a school campus for example

Part 15 for a campus can cover a much greater area (the entire campus) than can Part 15 for an individual or a non-campus organization.

>or highway construction info

That is generally not Part 15 - it is generally Travelers Information Service (TIS) which is a licensed service under Part 90, where they operate with a coverage radius limit of 3 km and a TPO limit of 10 watts. I have never been through a construction site operating Part 15, but have been through many operating Part 90, whose transportable transmitters are generally distinctive because of their antenna length, which can be up to 15 meters. I almost always dial in a Part 15 or Part 90 operation when I come across one.

>And as I've mentioned before, I've been at a location in Beverly where you can pick up Howard Stern's Sirius channel for a block or so, no doubt someone in an apartment nearby. A block or so...legally.

Not necessarily strictly legally. Some of the early satellite-to-FM converters were cited by the Commission as violating Part 15.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html