Is WSRO-AM 650 Testing Its Modest Power Increase?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 06:49:55 EDT 2014

After Radio Free Allston was shut down by the FCC, they made an effort to
get on legally as Allston-Brighton Free Radio. One day as they made their
debut I drove around the area a bit and tuned to 1670 or wherever they
were. They reached a few blocks. The founder, Steve Provizer I think, was
giving a speech on air and he said he was happy they were on but he was
also angry because he could only reach that small area legally, etc. (Some
said later that they were probably pushing beyond legal limits).

Part 15 is indeed 100 milliwatts. There are stations out there like WJIB
and WJTO that can only push out 3 or 4 watts at night, legally. That's
still a lot more than what a Part 15 can put out, and the various pirates
out there are way above that limit.

You can go past a church in Lynnfield that broadcasts for a few blocks or
so on 1640 (they have the "Tower School", too). They run a loop of
announcements, the school kids singing, etc. But indeed they can only reach
a few blocks under Part 15. (after you go past a few houses you probably
start picking up the emergency alert station in Peabody on that frequency
that runs PSAs at other times) It's much like the "Talking House" stations
that run under Part 15.

The wikipedia entry for FCC Part 15 mentions the tech. specifications and
gives examples of what's permissible under it: Cordless phones;
microbroadcasting on a school campus for example, mini FM transmitters for
your car (to broadcast an mp3 player, sat. radio etc); "talking houses" or
highway construction info, and even walkie talkies or those "Mr Microphone"
toys that have been sold. I'd add those few drive in theatres still out
there.

And as I've mentioned before, I've been at a location in Beverly where you
can pick up Howard Stern's Sirius channel for a block or so, no doubt
someone in an apartment nearby. A block or so...legally.