Looking for honest answers on this

Don Donald_Astelle@Yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 15:06:27 EDT 2014

> On Jun 9, 2014, at 3:39 AM, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here we are in the year 2014.
>>
>> How many of US ( radio geeks) still listen with terrestrial receivers?

I am a radio geek...so I like the idea of free broadcasting over the air.
No subscription, no internet fee, no data charges.

I also like to know and be on top of what is available to listeners for free
over the air, and to see if anyone is doing anything interesting....and
maybe how a certain station is relating to their community........so I am
constantly scanning and sampling.  Wake up to it....listen in the
shower....in the car, in the kitchen, etc.  So, yes, I still do listen to
terrestrial radio, although I am becoming more disenchanted.  (Also sample
the HD channels.)  I could listen to these over the internet...but I have
hit my monthly data limits a few times and over-the-air broadcasting is so
much more convenient.  (I used to have unlimited data, don't know what
happenned to that!)

I always liked talkradio...but really can only find WBUR/WGBH as acceptable
talk outlets.  And I can't find any oldies or smooth jazz or quiet storm
type R&B.

I have discovered Pandora because the formats available over-the-air is
pretty limited.  I use it mainly for Smooth Jazz on the weekends and when I
need my fix of older (i.e..70's) tunes....and R&B.  I am constantly
wondering how radio can compete with Pandora musically (and I use the free
version).

One of the other things that has changed in my radio listening.....I have
also added to my repetoire podcasts...since my iPhone connects to the car
dash system seemlessly, I find myself catching some of my favorite podcasts.
While most of them are podcasts from terrestrial broadcasts...I suppose I am
"time shifting" them to when it is more convenient for me.  -On The Media,
This American Life, Fresh Air, Radio Boston, America's Test Kitchen, Ham
Nation, Leo Laporte and Bob Brinker's Moneytalk areall much more easier to
catch now, as I can't be sure to be by a radio when they are actually
scheduled to broadcast.  Also the BBC_WS, and "World Have Your Say" are also
great programs.