Looking for honest answers on this

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:48:51 EDT 2014

<<On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 06:26:40 -0400 (EDT), Rob Landry <011010001@interpring.com> said:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> Isn't it possible that the clumping of spots that the industry has been
>> doing for the last thirty years has made listeners hyper-aware of the
>> advertising?

> That is, after all, the goal of commercial radio: to get people to listen
> to the ads.

>Making people hyper-aware of the advertising means they're annoyed and
>more willing to consider an alternative source of entertainment. It
>doesn't mean they're actually listening to the ads.

>A non-representative sample of university students suggests that the
>current crop of twentysomethings will tune out for *any* spoken word,
>whether jock, news, or advertising. "If I wanted ______, I'd use
>______." I'd love to know what the whole population looks like. (And
>I worry that radio may have to write off an entire generation -- so
>I'd also like to know what happens as these twentysomethings become
>fortysomethings with families and full-time jobs.) Other anecdotes
>I've heard from people with access to actual PPM data suggest that
>some stations, at least, take a bigger hit from stop sets than that
Arb study suggested.

>-GAWollman

Several years ago, the NY Times reported that "book" musicals (as opposed to
revues like "Smokey Joe's Cafe") hoping to attract a younger crowd could never
include an overture.  The intended audience would balk at  sitting in a theater
and listening  to a piece of strictly orchestral fare before the curtain went up.
Presumably it's a symptom of attenuated attention-spans.  Could that be the
reason Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC and Dairy Queen became DQ?