Looking for honest answers on this

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Jun 11 18:30:54 EDT 2014

<<On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 06:26:40 -0400 (EDT), Rob Landry <011010001@interpring.com> said:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> Isn't it possible that the clumping of spots that the industry has been
>> doing for the last thirty years has made listeners hyper-aware of the
>> advertising?

> That is, after all, the goal of commercial radio: to get people to listen
> to the ads.

Making people hyper-aware of the advertising means they're annoyed and
more willing to consider an alternative source of entertainment.  It
doesn't mean they're actually listening to the ads.

A non-representative sample of university students suggests that the
current crop of twentysomethings will tune out for *any* spoken word,
whether jock, news, or advertising.  "If I wanted ______, I'd use
______."  I'd love to know what the whole population looks like.  (And
I worry that radio may have to write off an entire generation -- so
I'd also like to know what happens as these twentysomethings become
fortysomethings with families and full-time jobs.)  Other anecdotes
I've heard from people with access to actual PPM data suggest that
some stations, at least, take a bigger hit from stop sets than that
Arb study suggested.

-GAWollman