Looking for honest answers on this

D. A. donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 21:13:12 EDT 2014

________________________________
 From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
To: Don <Donald_Astelle@Yahoo.com>
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:51 AM
Subject: Re: Looking for honest answers on this

>> I'd love to see someone do the experiment and stop running the spots
>> in long, predictable stop sets.  If you're running 12 units an hour,
>> what would happen if you ran one or two units every five minutes,
>> rather than six in a row twice an hour?

> Some research has indeed been done...leading to what we hear today:

> http://www.colemaninsights.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The-Impact-of-Commercials-on-the-Radio-Audience-September-2006.pdf

>>>Eight years ago, It's a different landscape

How has it changed?

>>and in a single market...

Should it be different in any other major market?

>>And in any case, they didn't actually do the
>>experiment, they just measured listening to existing commercial
>>schedules

And how people respond to those commercials.  The conclusion being that playing the first commercial is the biggest threat to continued listenership....but there isn't much difference between playing 3, 6 or 8 after that.

This led to the thinking that fewer and longer stopsets were more effective.