Local TV questions....

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Sep 13 02:32:51 EDT 2013

On 9/13/2013 2:17 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I think you've got that confused... Hercule Poirot was a fictional
> *private* detective, a la Sherlock Holmes (who Christie admitted to
> taking as a model). I don't think those shows were ever licensed for
> US exhibition by anyone other than WGBH's "Mystery!" (later
> "Masterpiece Mystery") although you never know. (WGBH is currently
> re-airing the Granada Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett from
> the mid-1980s, which they originally acquired for "Mystery!". I
> remember watching those shows on snowy WNPI-TV from Norwood, New York,
> about 100 miles away, because we couldn't get locals WETK 33 and WCFE
> 57 due to horrendous multipath. It's been fun to see them again, and
> remember how much the producers tinkered with Doyle's plots.)

Poirot was a former Belgian police inspector who came to England because
of Germany's occupation of Belgium.  I thought he was, at least
sometimes, called "Inspector" because of his former position, but I
could be remembering wrong.  The show was on NHPTV until last year, when
NHPTV disappeared from Boston-area cable.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com