Local TV questions....

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Sep 13 02:17:33 EDT 2013

<<On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:45:24 -0400, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> On 9/12/2013 10:20 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>> Many seniors are not happy that Lawrence Welk vanished (GBH has NEVER aired
>> Welk)

> And I miss Inspector Poirot.

I think you've got that confused... Hercule Poirot was a fictional
*private* detective, a la Sherlock Holmes (who Christie admitted to
taking as a model).  I don't think those shows were ever licensed for
US exhibition by anyone other than WGBH's "Mystery!" (later
"Masterpiece Mystery") although you never know.  (WGBH is currently
re-airing the Granada Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett from
the mid-1980s, which they originally acquired for "Mystery!".  I
remember watching those shows on snowy WNPI-TV from Norwood, New York,
about 100 miles away, because we couldn't get locals WETK 33 and WCFE
57 due to horrendous multipath.  It's been fun to see them again, and
remember how much the producers tinkered with Doyle's plots.)

-GAWollman