Real Names of Disc Jockeys and other tales...

Linc Reed-Nickerson linc45r-n@lincster.com
Fri May 17 01:44:08 EDT 2013

At WKIP in Poughkeepsie there was Johnny Walker, I. W. Harper, and other
alcohol based names. even Bill Booze on the weekends (Ed Wroblewski),
"Music and News with Bill Booze."  I thought the name was funny until I
met a man who really is Bill Boos.  The fellow at WKIP got fired for
playing sound effects during the religious transcriptions...  yes, they
really were 16" diameter E T's.  When E T meant electrical Transcription.

On another of topic, I dropped into our local theater tonight to witness
the new video projector....  I was a projectionist back in the days of
Carbon Arcs and Reel Changes, I even worked in one booth that still had
a turntable run by a shaft and flexible couplings from the days when
sound was on 16" E.T's.  The first time I was in a booth with Dolby CD's
synced to the time code on the film I marveled at how we had come full
circle.

One of my high school science fair projects (1962) was "Video Disc
Recording."  I didn't win, it was considered impracticable if not
impossible, and no one could see a use for such a device.   I built a
crude very low resolution system using an old record lathe arm to move
the magnetic head across the spinning media.  I got media in sheet form
from 3M,  it would run backwards, and sort of freeze frame if I got
lucky.....  it did spend a lot of time out-of-lock and would tear up
media.  Less than a decade later I was operating an Ampex Slo-Mo device
that was very similar, damn I wish I had known about intellectual
property back then.

Another idea, a moving map display for your car, but my version would
have required marker transmitters every 10th of a mile or so.... That
idea was even earlier, I'd guess about 1956 or 7.  That never went
beyond some crude drawings in my notebook when I should have been doing
schoolwork.  No matter, it is great to see your dreams turn into realities.

I wax nostalgic ;-)