740 (was: "Boston's Real Jazz" WZBR 1410 on air)

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu Dec 19 11:45:47 EST 2013

On the west-null cardioid pattern antenna I run here, CHCM Marystown,
Newfoundland dominates 740 at night quite often as the antenna reduces
co-channel CFZM Toronto which would typically dominate on other
antennas.  CHCM was formerly known as CBNM when it relayed CBC-network
640 CBN St. John's.  Now it relays 590 VOCM St. John's with a country
format.

Marc is right, as noted below.  NL has replaced NF as the abbreviation
for Newfoundland-Labrador as QC has replaced PQ for Quebec.  Not to
mention that NU (Nunavut) is a fairly recent Canadian addition.

There are no Mexican stations that I have ever heard on 740 in nearly
55 years of listening.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Dan-

As far as I know, "NL" has been Canada's official abbreviation for
Newfoundland/Labrador  for some time now.

Marc DeLorenzo
South Dennis, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?228-DeLorenzo-s-Classic-DX

Great report, Mark, but what's NL? I don't think you meant
Newfoundland,
which, AFAIK, is NF and could well be what you meant. I thought NL was
Nuevo
Laredo (Mexico), which must be 2000 miles away. Is that what you
_really_
meant? Really?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)