seeking an unbiased opinion about country music radio

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 16:39:36 EDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 2:45 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> So, what has changed in the past decade or so-- is it how country is
> rated by PPM, have audiences for country expanded, or something else?
> What is going on that would take country to #1 in Boston? (Note:  I am
> in no way questioning the power of country music. It's not my music of
> choice, but as a consultant, I grew to appreciate some of the artists
> and I really was impressed by the loyalty of the fans.)

I share your position on country music, e.g., not my preference but
intrigued by fan loyalty.  Country was likely a lot more successful
pre-PPM but under-reported due to its stigma among listeners embedded in
more cosmopolitan markets.  Read: Despite the 80s song, Country still
ain't cool.

Now that reporting is passive there is a correction going on.

There may be another or concurrent reason for Country's increase in
ratings and share - the economy. The labor market post-07 is not showing
signs of growth and there is a malaise setting in akin to the one
enunciated by President Carter (that contributed to his failed
reelection attempt in '80).  Even without ditties about dogs getting run
over by grandmas who passed out while driving down a road with a new
sink-hole, Country tends to hearken to a more simple set of themes.

And another possibility is that Country has not improved but all other
musical formats are so dreadfully awful that the format is looking
better near closing time.

Bill O'Neill