seeking an unbiased opinion about country music radio

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Aug 7 14:45:57 EDT 2013

I am cross-posting this to several lists, to get a number of opinions.
As many of you know, a country radio station just reached #1 in the
Boston ratings.  Historically, the country format did absolutely nothing
here, and many stations that tried the format died. I consulted the
first successful country station, circa 1993-1994 (WCLB-- today WKLB)
but it too struggled to gain anything more than a niche audience.  So,
what has changed in the past decade or so-- is it how country is rated
by PPM, have audiences for country expanded, or something else? What is
going on that would take country to #1 in Boston?  (Note:  I am in no
way questioning the power of country music. It's not my music of choice,
but as a consultant, I grew to appreciate some of the artists and I
really was impressed by the loyalty of the fans.)