Route numbering (was: Re: Rhode Island names and other odd naming conventions)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Apr 7 23:35:04 EDT 2013

<<On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:37:57 -0400, John Francini <francini@mac.com> said:

> I 95 branches off in Delaware; the road becomes I 295 until after
> the bridge over the Delaware River, where the NJ turnpike begins. I
> 95 heads through Philadelphia and joins the NJ turnpike some 70
> miles after the border.

> It used to be discontinuous, but I think the designations in NJ/PA
> got fixed around the same time that 128 picked up the I 95
> designation.

I-95 was planned to connect to run approximately along the route of US
206, through some extremely wealthy suburban communities (including
Princeton).  The people who lived there would not hear of it, so I-95
ended historically "left" the Turnpike just north of the Brunswicks;
it picks up again on the north side of Trenton.

Current plans are for I-95 to join the PA Turnpike near where they
currently fail to intersect, and follow that road (currently I-276)
across the Delaware River to the NJ Turnpike.  The rest of the
Delaware Expressway would then pick up an I-x95 designation.
Pennsylvania has dragged its feet for the past decade in constructing
the necessary interchange.

-GAWollman