Rhode Island names and other odd naming conventions

Ari Alpert xradioguy@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 07:06:05 EDT 2013

Lived in Chicagoland for 3 years during the 90's and thought it was much easier to understand radio traffic as an outsider. The names "Edens", "Eisenhower" (aka the "Ike"), and "Kennedy" actually appear on maps. Not sure I recall ever seeing "gas tanks" or "jughandle" in the Boston area or "South County" or "Big Blue Bug" in RI on any maps. I think east coast cities are a bit more provincial than other areas of the country (we like our landmarks and old names for things). For people just travelling through, it would be impossible to understand traffic reports even given a map. Increasing use of smartphones with live-traffic maps may render radio traffic reports obsolete some day in the not-to-distant future much as school cancellations are obsolete now.

________________________________
 From: Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com>
To: Paul Hopfgarten <pariho@mail.com>
Cc: Ari Alpert <ari@alpertfamily.net>; Boston Radio Group <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>; Chris Hall <chris2526@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2013 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: Rhode Island names and other odd naming conventions

(Radio related): When visiting Chicago in the 90s I heard radio traffic
reports for "the Edens", "the Eisenhower" and "the Kennedy". It would be
helpful to know, for outsiders, which interstates, etc. they meant! And if
you're not from Pittsburgh you have no idea what the Parkway East or
Parkway West is, etc. In our area we know of "the gas tanks" (off Central
Artery) and "the jughandle light" (Rt 1, Peabody).

There were plans to put I-95 right through what's called "the southwest
corridor", connecting with the central artery, then going up through
Revere/Saugus/Lynn
(you can see the exit to nowhere on US 1 in Revere) as well as an I-695
that would have been an inner loop (another exit to  nowhere off of I-93).
It was pressure from NIMBYs and BANANAs (not in my backyard, build
absolutely nothing anywhere near anything) that killed off these projects.
My Dad would say Gov Sargent had something to do with it, "yeah, 'put Sarge
in charge' was his slogan".

Route 128 pops up in Jonathan Richman's "Roadrunner" and the Dave Dinger
Ford ad jingles, etc. And while I-95 is supposed by unbroken I think it
"disappears" in favor of the N.J. Turnpike