"It's the programming, stupid!"

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon May 21 18:04:51 EDT 2012

On 5/21/2012 4:58 PM, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> IIRC, WWEL only ran NIGHT games of the Sox, and I don't believe 1430
> carried them, only 107.9 to augment WITS's pitiful nighttime signal.
> (even as close as Randolph, where I lived at the time, I listened to
> 107.9 for the night
> games in 1978...)

Yes, I remember when the Red Sox moved from WHDH radio and channel 4
television to WITS and channel 38, neither of which came in all that
well in Bedford, my father remarked that he couldn't understand why a
big-league ball club was on minor-league stations.

What made things worse was that our little neighborhood in Bedford had
worse nightime reception of 1510 than elsewhere in town.  I remember
once driving home at night, listening to WMEX on the car radio, and I
heard the signal fade out just as I turned the corner off the main road
onto the side street that led to our neighborhood.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.             617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700       Fax: 617.507.7856