21st century elevator music (Was Re: WBZ should hang its head in shame)

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:06:26 EDT 2012

On 6/5/2012 8:43 AM, Martin Waters wrote:
>      That is out of the mainstream for today's background music in
> public places. The trend I hear now is to '70's and '80's rock. Just
> last week, in Walgreen's, I heard "Nothing is Easy", Jethro Tull. I'm
> waiting for the Clash to show up next.

Due to the nature of my job, McDs tends to be offices on the road so
I've sampled much of the aural accompaniment (once in radio)....  A lot
of the more rural communities lean towards a country channel that is not
necessarily top 10 but closer to mainstream.

Others, in more suburban/metro tend to lean 90s-00s with mixes that try
to line-up with their more recent architectural incarnations
(Starbucks-leaning).

Others, I note, are 70s-80s former A/C staples back in their day; and as
I write this (Fair Haven, VT McDs) I just heard a segue from Little
River Band's Reminiscing to Bob Seger's Against the Wind. That worked
well with (who woulda thought) blueberry banana oatmeal.

So, it would appear that there is a degree of discretion afforded some
chains' local or regional decision makers within a range of format
offerings on their respective subscriber packages.  What I've not hear
is any OTA radio.

Time for a free refill.

Bill O'Neill