21st century elevator music (Was Re: WBZ should hang its head in shame)

John Francini francini@mac.com
Tue Jun 5 10:31:28 EDT 2012

It may be deliberate "anti-music". I seem to recall that some municipalities have figured out that if they play music that's way out of "mainstream" at certain public places, it strongly discourages highly fashion- and trend-conscious people (read: teenagers) from hanging out in those areas. When I was in Easton, PA a few weeks back, I noted that a major city square that has several tourist attractions has outdoor speakers playing classical music continuously. Not a single 'undesirable' was hanging out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if the purpose of the 50s music is to subconsciously get people to move through the buying-eating-leaving process in short order, and discourage lingering over their food.