How long before a 1960's format happens on AM?

M. Casey map@mapinternet.com
Fri Jul 27 12:49:13 EDT 2012

Yes ...Why not!.

I don't think I'd call it "Music of Your Life" but a 60's , (minus and plus
a few years, say, 1958-1974) top 20-30 or 40 format might do a lot better
than the current formats on either 1150 or 1510. And, the "Archies" comment
is well taken. If you take a look at those sample WABC surveys, I think
there is an argument to "play 'em all" --- that is, with very few
exceptions,  play all of the top 20 or 30 or 40 survey songs for the period.
There's a ton of those "lost 45's" that folks wouldn't mind hearing in the
regular rotation. And a deeper list would make for less repetition. I think
most folks get tired of even some of their favorite songs if they hear them
too often.

The point was made that the 60's boomers listening habits haved changed.
This is only partially true. Some haved moved to country. Many listen to an
older mix or an oldies or classic rock station at some point. Most that
listen to radio for music at all, listen to more than one station. So, can:
Light My Fire, Wolverton Mountain, Johnny Get Angry, I Was Made to Love Her,
Soul Finger,  and White Rabbit co-exist in the same format. Maybe so.

While this would be likely to fail in a smaller market, and probably would
not gather large ratings in the Boston market, for a station with a signal
that covers the majority of the market, the Boston market probably has the
population base large enough to support it, and even a small market share
would represent a sizable audience, and one likely larger than either of
those stations has now. And, it might do well if the station could reach the
Cape Cod (retired) audience as noted.

--Mark Casey...(1952..almost 60 and listening to the area classic hits
stations & internet radio)