Janet Baker-Carr

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Jul 19 16:24:35 EDT 2012

On 7/19/2012 12:05 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> I was asked to do some research about the long career of Janet
> Baker-Carr, who spent many years as an announcer at WXHR-FM and then
> WCRB.  Since I admit to not being much of a fan of classical music, I
> didn't know a lot about her-- I'm much more familiar with people like
> Ron Della Chiesa.  Do any of you have recollections about her work?  I
> found a large number of mentions of her on historical newspapers from
> the 1950s through the 1980s, plus she wrote a book about the Boston
> Symphony Orchestra.

All I remember about her is that she was on WXHR -- which only became
WXHR-FM when 740 became WXHR(AM) -- for some time.  I seem to remember
first hearing about her in an announcement that she would soon be
"returning."  Which suggests that she had been with the station in the
past (before I had an FM radio, I think).  Perhaps she was on maternity
leave or something, I don't know.  I don't think I remember her on WCRB,
but I definitely remember her on WXHR as one of only two female voices
on classical music radio.  The other was Nirmal Daniere (spelling
approximate), who was on WBCN for some time and, I believe, eventually
was on WCRB.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx: 617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com