WBZ changes

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 15:12:32 EST 2012

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I've noted some changes on the air at WBZ that seem to have escaped note
> here....

  I've noticed that past couple of Saturday afternoons the anchors have been
Art Cohen & Mike Macklin, and they have no weekend PM sports reporter, the
news anchor also handles the :15 & :45 sports updates. I believe there
hasn't been a weekend PM sports person for some time now, and IIRC the
weekend anchor slots weren't consistent either.

  In addition to less Mike Coleman, it seems J.J. Wright's recorded liners
have vanished from WBZ.

  I also heard last Sunday morning in the 11:00 hour a financial talk show,
likely brokered time, an 1-800 call in number. They did a 5 minute newscast
at 11:30 then rejoined the talk show.

  I did not know they were now carrying the full 30 minutes of the "CBS
Evening News". They had been carrying the first segment of the news. I
believe WCBS radio also carries the first segment of the "Evening News" I
agree that TV audio of a newscast is not always easy to be properly
appreciated without the pictures, yet it didn't stop WCAP from recently
adding a simulcast of WCVB's weekday Noon news to it's schedule.

Mark Watson