WEEI-FM transmitting in Mono

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Jan 10 13:15:19 EST 2012

"...I honestly believe a great part of 98.5 the Sports Hub's success is derived from producing Patriots and Bruins games in stereo, combined with there use of music to create what I believe is a superior production value."

There is not one single shred of evidence that stereo makes any difference at all to the ratings in primarily spoken-word formats.  OTOH, stereo somewhat reduces fringe-area coverage and increases multipath distortion, so for a format where music is not the prime ingredient mono makes much more sense.

NOTE:  This is my opinion and not that of my employer.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040