Who brought you to WBZ?

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jan 4 01:23:09 EST 2012

A long story.  I think I once told the story on this list of my dad
taking me to a live radio show at WBZ in 1953.  It was called the 'BZ
Open House, hosted by Dick Tucker.

Fast forward to 1957, after we had lived in Albany, NY for a few years,
we moved back to the Boston area in Bedford, and I was already into
radio, checking out every station on the dial.  And WBZ was one of those
stations to have a hit parade survey that was available free in the
stores.  I listened mostly to WCOP for that kind of stuff, but I also
listened to WBZ a lot.  And when I got an FM radio and started to be
interested in classical music, I listened to WBZ-FM, 106.7, which in
those days signed on at 5:00 PM and did classical music until midnight.
At one time I called the station with the suggestion that they simulcast
the AM programs during the daytime, and a couple of weeks later, I
discovered that they were doing so.  I was a 15-year-old radio consultant.

Eventually I started listening to "Program PM," first hosted by Bob
Nelson, and then by "The Other Bob Kennedy."  Especially when Isaac
Asimov was the guest.  I actually called in once when he was on.  In
1963, just after I started college, Program PM was moved earlier and
re-named "Contact."  At UMass in Amherst, I often listened to WBZ.  I
think that's where I first heard the Beatles.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856