FW: RIP - Dave Maynard

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 16:43:25 EST 2012

Donna Halper wrote:

> That is the shame about all of the "old timers" dying off-- so many of
> their great stories were never recorded, and we will lose those memories
> unless somebody thought to either write them down or record them.

  I agree Donna. With the passing of Dave Maynard and Jim Dixon this past
week, we lost two more "old timers" or voices from the golden era of Boston
broadcasting. I know there are some of Dave Maynard's "Piece of Cake" TV
commercials on You Tube, probably some airchecks of Maynard can be found on
aircheck websites. Sadly, there may not be any audio or video of Jim Dixon
out there. I know Donna does her best to keep old news clippings, photos,
interviews and such, we should all be grateful for her efforts.. Sadly, most
broadcast outlets probably didn't save much of it's history.

My sister called me the other night when she saw the news of Dave Maynard's
passing. She saw him twice introducing WBZ sponsored concerts at Canobie
Lake Park, the Searchers in 1964 and Herman's Hermits in '65.

May both Dave & Jim rest in peace.

Mark Watson