TV political ad question

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Fri Aug 3 14:03:38 EDT 2012

On 08/03/2012 01:08 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> On 8/3/2012 3:15 AM, Richard Chonak wrote:
>>
>> Political donation records suggest that this may not be true of NBC.
>
> The head of GE may have joined the president's jobs council but Jeff
> Immelt is well known for being a registered Republican.  And Comcast
> has long contributed mainly to Republicans.  They may spread it around
> (Robert Kraft has donated to BOTH Republican and Democratic
> candidates) but that isn't quite the point.   Most network executives
> (except at Fox) don't call the tune for what's on the air.

It seems that NBC was another case, as Jeff Immelt's got a reputation
for having called in CNBC staff and told them to go easy on Mr. Obama --
at least business reporter Charlie Gasparino says he did.  I suppose he
did so for the sake of GE's financial interests, but interference is
interference, whether it's done for corporate financial reasons or
ideological reasons.

--RC