TV political ad question

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 3 15:19:59 EDT 2012

On 8/3/2012 2:03 PM, Richard Chonak wrote:

> It seems that NBC was another case, as Jeff Immelt's got a reputation
> for having called in CNBC staff and told them to go easy on Mr. Obama
> -- at least business reporter Charlie Gasparino says he did.  I
> suppose he did so for the sake of GE's financial interests, but
> interference is interference, whether it's done for corporate
> financial reasons or ideological reasons.

Umm, don't necessarily want to go here, but there is no credible
evidence of this.  CNBC has been very critical of Mr Obama, as they were
at times with Mr Bush.  The idea that CNBC goes easy on Mr Obama can be
refuted by watching the network regularly (as my husband does).  CNBC is
very much a pro-business network with demonstrably right-wing leanings.
That is their privilege, and while the Obama camp may indeed have
objected to their coverage (presidents ALWAYS dislike certain coverage
and send their press secretaries out to complain), there isn't much
evidence that anything changed.  Mr Gasparino has a dog in this fight--
he comes from Fox, which is not known for being objective.