Can WBCN lead listeners to buy HD radio?

Ron Bello rbello@belloassoc.com
Mon Apr 16 15:39:00 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@mail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/business/media/wbcn-progressive-rock-station-returns-on-hd.html?_r=3&emc=tnt&tntemail0=y
>
>  New York Times article about WBCN on HD radio; can the spirit of the old
> 104.1, complete with a biodiesel bus tour, attract listeners to buy an HD
> radio? Live DJs were added recently. (The WBCN calls on terrestrial radio
>  belong to an AM talk station in Charlotte). Sam Kopper is quoted as
> saying he wants to re-connect with
>  the listener.
>
>  Sounds like a niche format for many nostalgic for the old 'BCN, a way to
> get that old spirit while CBS apparently has no room for it on the standard
> FM dial. (I wonder if they could promote this on WZLX. Maybe they are...
>  have a weekly show or run ads about "WBCN on HD". Still would that be
> enough?)

CBS does promote "The Cove" WODS-HD2 on air regularly.

What I don't understand is why another AC station ?   Yes, WMJX bills well
but......
Thought the industry was going to use HD-2s and 3s to offer new / different
formats.
It is more of the same old to me.  Until there is something worth the cost
of HD radios
to force the sale, it will languish.  My 2010 auto came with HD but rarely
use it.
News on WBZ sounds great when the HD is locked in but it drops out so often
that it is annoying.