Legal IDs and shared-time stations

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Oct 4 22:37:34 EDT 2011

On 10/3/2011 6:30 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> I believe that the US AM band has seen (heard?) the last of the
> shared-time stations. I think it left the air two or three years ago.
> It shared time with WIBW Topeka KS, but I can't remember the calls
> (KFKU?). There are now one or two such on FM, however, including one
> four-way time-share that was authorized in the last year or two.

There are at least two remaining AM share-times that I know of.

In Chicago (technically, Cicero IL), 1450 is shared by WCEV
(multilingual ethnic, mostly Eastern European) and WRLL (Spanish). This
is actually a relatively recent share-time, created in 1978 after
then-WVON 1450 bought the better 1390 signal (ex-WGES, WNUS, etc.) and
surrendered the 1450 facility. WFMT, the commercial classical station,
became the interim licensee to keep the signal alive, but a comparative
hearing process eventually yielded two new licensees for 1450.

And in little Decorah, Iowa, commercial KDEC shares 1240 with Luther
College's KWLC. KWLC operates from 10 PM-1 AM weeknights and all day on
weekends. KDEC apparently had a never-built CP to move to 1200 by itself
in the early 1980s.