Legal IDs and shared-time stations

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Oct 5 08:57:36 EDT 2011

Hi, Scott: Thanks! Doug Broda had informed me yesterday of the
continued existence of the Chicago and Decorah pairs. Doug's message
said not to reply to him because he rarely looks in the mailbox from
which he sent the message. So I wrote the attached reply and took care
to address it to the entire list. Alas, however, after I dispatched
the message, I checked my own copy and discovered that, somewhere
along the line, my instructions to send it to the list apparently
disappeared, leaving the message to flow only to the mailbox that Doug
almost never opens. Some of what I learned is interesting,
particularly in view of KWLC's very limited operating hours. Unless
the college that owns KWLC maintains or leases the 410' (186-degree)
tower to also host an FM signal, the use of such a tall tower by a
noncommercial Class C AM that is licensed to a small agricultural
community and that operates only about 40 hours per week seems truly
bizarre. In fact, KDEC's use of a 93-degree tower, which requires
illumination, is also bizarre when a 199-foot tower would normally not
require illumination and would provide coverage so close to that of
the 205' tower that the difference would be essentially unmeasurable.

Anyhow, I received the calendar yesterday. Thanks. NICE JOB!!!

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367