WAMC Legal ID

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Oct 3 00:43:05 EDT 2011

On 10/2/2011 1:30 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

 > WBZ's current ID is simply wrong, although again, the Commission is
not likely to call them on it. By the rules as they are written, you are
not permitted to "factor out" a common city of license.

Really?  That was really common in the old days, where some stations
used to ID as Wxxx and Wxxx-FM Boston.  Of course, the rules have
probably changed since then, but is that kind of ID wrong now?

Actually, one of the oddest IDs I heard was one evening when I happened
to pick up WHAM in Rochester IDing as WHAM and WHFM.  But the way they
said it, it sounded like WH-AM and WH-FM, and I wondered how some
station managed to get a two-letter callsign.  It took a look in White's
Radio Log to find out what was going on.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856