Potential aux sites for WBZ

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Sun Jun 19 18:46:57 EDT 2011

In 1966, Bermuda had stations on 960 (ZFB), 1235 (ZBM-1), and 1340
(ZBM-2).

1235, being a "split", was easily receivable on selective receivers up
and down the US and Canadian East Coast away from 1230 and 1240 locals.

My QSL from this station is displayed at
"http://chowdanet.com/markc/webpage/BevAntenna/zbm1_bermuda_1235_qsl.gif"
.  I was living in Arlington, next to Menotomy Rocks Park, at the time.
  Although I had numerous outdoor antennas available, this reception was
routinely achievable on a "barefoot" Realistic portable radio, model
12-614,
"http://chowdanet.com/markc/WEB2005A/1967_realistic_10-trf.gif".

The present-day Bermuda frequencies are 1160 (BBC relay), 1280 (US
religion), and 1450 (light pop music, local talk).  At coastal sites
such as Granite Pier (Rockport), I hear 1160 and 1280 quite often.  On
a DXpedition trip to Cappahayden, Newfoundland several years back, I
also heard the 1450 station duking it out with CFAB (NS) and WRKD (ME).

I have also heard two of the three Bahamas stations (810 and 1540).
1240 has eluded me.

QSL for ZNS-1:
"http://chowdanet.com/markc/webpage/BevAntenna/zns_bahamas_1540_qsl.gif"

By the way, I enjoyed a brief stop at the cook-out Saturday.  Talked to
several there including Dan Strassberg (about Arlington my old
hometown, "technical stuff", DX), Donna (about radio history, Rush,
Helen Shapiro), and to several others.  Didn't eat as I was going on a
family outing right after.  I had a good time and I'm thinking of
making a longer stay out of it next time.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA

<<
On 6/17/2011 11:14 PM, A Joseph Ross wrote:

> When I was in Bermuda in 1966, the two island radio stations were ZBM
 > and ZFB. I believe ZFB was brand new at the time. I think ZBM may >
have operated on two frequencies, but I don't remember what they were,
 > but if WPTR has to protect ZNS1, I'm guessing that ZNS must be the >
former ZBM and that ZNS1 is one of the frequencies on which ZBM >
operated in 1966.

Amazingly enough I've managed to find the information booklet about
Bermuda that I got back in 1966. It says that Bermuda's two radio
stations, ZBM-1 and ZBM-2 operate at 1235 and 1340 "kilocycles"
respectively. ZBF must have been too new to get into that edition of
the pamphlet. Neither of them at 1540, which means that there can't be
a station in Bermuda old enough to be protected by WPTR.

Looking up ZNS-1 on Wikipedia, I found that it isn't in Bermuda, but in
the Bahamas. And sure enough, it's on 1540.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. 617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700 Fax: 617.507.7856